Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Canning Fool

Well, I've been up to it again...CANNING! I've made dill pickles, that are still not ready. The soonest I can try them out is August 10. That'll be three weeks. I'm ready to eat them now as we ran out of dill pickles last week.

So while I'm waiting, I'm trying out new recipes. The second thing I decided to can was bread and butter pickles. They are refrigerator pickles. They turned out delicious! I made two jars using cucumbers out of our garden. Two days later I tried bread and butter squash and cucumber pickles. We didn't like the squash as it wasn't crunchy enough. I won't be making those again. I've made 3 quarts of bread and butter pickles since, as we've just been getting small amounts of cucumbers at a time.

The next thing I decided to make is deal relish. We go through store-bought dill relish like crazy! They were a pain to cut, but it only took about an hour. I bought 8 pounds of cucumbers and an onion from the farmers market. I'm letting them sit for three weeks to let it pickle well.

The next thing I tried was green pepper jelly. I grew up thinking why would mom make jelly out of green peppers! Well, as an adult, I've gone to parties that have pepper jelly served over a block of cream cheese with crackers. It was yummy, so I decided to try my hand at it. I followed the directions to a tee. One problem: I walked away to wash my hands and the jelly boiled over. I freaked out. Well, as I was about to pour it out because I thought I burnt it, I tasted it and it tasted good. So I added food coloring import them into jars. I processed the jars and it worked perfectly. And it taste great! Hubby wants me to add another jalapeño to make it spicier next time.

The next recipe I tried was pineapple jam. It didn't gel at all, so now it's called pineapple syrup. Next time I think I'll add some pectin.

The last thing I've made is watermelon jelly. It turned out wonderful and taste great.

I'm finally starting to run out of jars. My friend Lisa told me how Menards has jars really cheap right now. So Hubby and I decided Sunday we're going to celebrate my birthday a few days early, and go to Lamberts in Sikeston, Missouri. After that we're driving 30 minutes north to go by jars from Menards. Happy birthday to me!!

During this whole canning process, I've been talking with two of my friends from high school, as were all new to canning. We've been having a ball! We're getting ready to get together next weekend and share goodies we've made, and make some more stuff! I can't wait!

Next up to be made: jalapeño bread and butter pickles, sweet relish and carrot cake jam. I'll let you know how it turns out!! Toodles! ~Kim


1 comment:

Credit Loan Solution said...

Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

Your Name:...............
Your Country:...............
Your Occupation:...............
Loan Amount Needed:...............
Loan Duration...............
Monthly Income:...............
Your Telephone Number:.....................
Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com